PDA

View Full Version : 7mgte swap in 85 Corolla SR-5

oldschool85
01-28-2006, 01:06 AM
Hello All. I dont know where the appropriate place would be to post this thread so I chose this section. Hopefully no MODS will get angry. :)

Anyways a recent buddy of mine has a pretty mint 85 corolla sr-5. He's seen what the 7m can do a mk2 hence the reason he wants to be part of the dark side.

Now I know the car will be off balanced a little since we all know these toyota corollas were pretty much balanced. The car will be pretty much driven daily and we're leaning more towards the straights than the curves.

We will be using the 7mgte mated with a w58 tranny. I know a custom driveshaft will have to be made and custom motor mounts and probably a new tranny xmember but they all shouldnt be too hard. Tunnel might need a little bangin to get the tranny to fit but nothing a little sledge hammer cant take care of. :) Wiring will be done by me. We shall see what the electronics field taught me.

We are wondering if we should swap over the complete gts rear diff or keep the solid rear.

Also by looking at the front xmember it looks as though we might have to use the center sump oil pan but maybe a front sump might fit. Some test fitting shall reveal the results.

We have already started dissassembly of the engine bay earlier this week. By all means we are not looking to finish the project quickly. All comments welcome and stay tuned for some progress pictures and some questions.

Charlie

Deanfun
01-28-2006, 01:18 AM
oh... oh dear.

yeah i hope you don't plan on taking too many turns. I would imagine the 7mgte longblock weights more than the 4age and t50 combined. not to mention you'll be throwing the intercooler and radiator even further forward in the bumper.

Funkycheeze
01-28-2006, 01:47 AM
i'd go for 3SGTE

putting a 7m in that car, unless you do alot of modding to the dash and firewall to set it back nice and far, will make it a bear to control

oldschool85
01-28-2006, 11:49 PM
Just wondering what RWD tranny would be an option for that motor?

charlie

MightyAl
01-29-2006, 12:13 AM
Just wondering what RWD tranny would be an option for that motor?

charlie

R154...my buddy is going to put one in a RX7...shhhhh it is a secret

4SFED
01-29-2006, 09:28 AM
and find a mark 1 supra for the rearend

pdupler
01-29-2006, 11:04 AM
Anyways a recent buddy of mine has a pretty mint 85 corolla sr-5. He's seen what the 7m can do a mk2 hence the reason he wants to be part of the dark side.

The mods might not get angry, but a few of us purists will.... I hate when people take a "nice" car and start hacking away at it to conduct an experiment. If you want to do that sort of thing, sell the nice one to somebody who'll appreciate it for what it is then hack a rolling chassis that somebody has already abused. I know somebody local who has an 82 supra with 17,000 miles on the clock that was hacked up in 1984 to put a chevy small block in it for drag racing. He was so disappointed with the cars handling that it hasn't been driven since its first and only race 22 years ago. And it wasn't like the guy couldn't afford to do it right in the first place as he is a bona-fide Dallas oil millionaire with professionals at his disposal. Sometimes even the professionals experiments don't work out.

mkiimaniac
01-29-2006, 01:17 PM
Good luck with the project...I know some may be torn but at least you are keepin it real by using all Toyota components. If you are careful and take your time (i.e. fender protectors a must) then I believe you can still hkeep the car looking pretty much stock and in good condition. Just take your time, do it right
and keep her clean. Then go out and destroy the V8 haters. :bananas:

Good Luck! Oh yea, I want your Turbo MK2 :)

Supra_devil
01-29-2006, 01:51 PM
and find a mark 1 supra for the rearend

or the mk2 celica, which also had rear discs as well. same rear end.

we have one to put in my buddies GTS, did some measuring, it will fit perfect with only minor work.

Junkie
01-29-2006, 06:26 PM
i'd go for 3SGTE

I researched this option for my gts.The only rwd bellhousing,is for a w series trans,or the IS200/Altezza 6spd.With the w series b-housing a 3sge is a simple swap as any.GTE is another story.Stock gte has oil cooler/lines and boss .... right in the way of the starter "driver side of block" leaving a guy with a custom turbo system having to be built,on a non-t engine for clearance issues.At minimum a stock gte would need extra fab work in that area for the starter to fit "I want to see one that some claims is a stock gte".
I decide to stay 4age and add the T :D though that project won't be done for a bit.

Charlie if you friend does do the 7mgte swap,got with the mki rear diff,the celica is the same r+p as the corolla.

TSupraman85
01-30-2006, 05:41 PM
i'd go for 3SGTE

putting a 7m in that car, unless you do alot of modding to the dash and firewall to set it back nice and far, will make it a bear to control
one problem with the 3s what bell housing would you use theres only one possible that I know of and thats the altezza.

Jack Daniels
01-30-2006, 07:36 PM
sickest corolla i have seen was cosmo powered

Racetek82
01-30-2006, 08:16 PM
Actually, for the 3S motor, you can use a W-series tranny, with a bellhousing from a 1S or 2S rwd car. Problem is, these are mainly found in the land down under....=P

Junkie
01-30-2006, 08:32 PM
I researched this option for my gts.The only rwd bellhousing,is for a w series trans,or the IS200/Altezza 6spd.

I had the b-housing in my hands,CC in my wallet,engine in front of me.Tooooooo much fab. work for a 3sgte swap IMHO,and I REALLY wanted to do it.

HardtopTE72
02-06-2006, 09:56 AM
there are already a couple of 7MGTE's and 2JZGTE's in TE72 Corollas (80-82) (NEarly same exact chassis as an AE86)
In option Auto(Japanese MAG) there are to 2JZGTE Powered AE86 Corolla Twins
Here are some pics
http://www.teamtoyminator.org/salinapr03/031406.JPG
http://www.teamtoyminator.org/atco1/071967.JPG
The first one is a drag corolla