Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

diff removal/instalation writeup.

59K views 58 replies 29 participants last post by  ddd228 
#1 · (Edited)
the best thing is to jack it up as high as you can then put jack stands under it on the frame rails. NOT THE REAR SUBFRAME MOUNTING POINTS!!!! that will cause the subframe to tilt and be a pita to reinstall. btdt.

remove the 4 nuts holding each half shaft to the diff.(14mm)

then remove the 4 nuts and bolts that are holding the drive shaft to the diff.(12mm)

then remove the 2 19mm nuts that are facing the rear of the car just above the sway bar. leave the 2 bolts in the holes to hold the diff when you remove the other bolts.

now remove the 4 17mm bolts from the top of the diff., then remove the 4 17mm bolts on the sides of the diff.(2 on each side)

once all bolts are removed, put a jack under the diff., leave about 1in between them. pull the 2 bolts that had the 19mm nuts on them out. you will probably have to smack it with a wrench. once it jars free, lower the jack and pull it out.

for reinstallation, place it on a jack and roll it underneath lined up as best you can. jack it up into place. if it seems to catch, keep jacking it up SLOWLY, it will pop into place, once it does, be sure those 2 bolts on top line up first(the large 19mm bolts) and slide the bolts through. you may have to hit it to knock it one way or the other, you may also have to slightly lower the jack.

once you slide those in, lower the jack from the diff and place it under the nose of the diff. slowly jack up the nose of the diff until the front side bolts line up.

then put the 4 17mm bolts in on the sides. once screwed almost all the way in (DO NOT TIGHEN THEM YET) try putting in the 4 top 17mm bolts if they dont quite line up, try raising the nose slightly, they should line up.

once those 4 bolts are threaded in, tighten all 8 of the 17mm bolts, then tighten the 2 19mm nuts onto the bolts coming through the top rear.

then bolt the drive shaft and half shafts back on(preferably with new lock washers).

then jack the car back up and remove the jack stands, lower the car. guess what, your fininshed.

See less See more
#2 ·
Whats the actual name of the part?

Isnt it LSD? i need to buy that part for my 83 supra, so what should I tell the place to order them? do u kno what size i need? do you kno where I can buy them? plz respond or private message me...i really need that part.

#3 ·
uhh

two differential types available
limited slip = 2 wheels spin
open = only one wheel turns

Now that you know that much, your 83 P type Supra should have a 4.10 limited slip differential with 7.5" ring gear. Your best bet would be to go to a junkyard, as these babies cost $1,300 new from Toyota (last I heard)

You will need to look at the donor cars data plate under the hood to find out what gear ratio it has, you should be loooking for a F293

#5 ·
i have a 84 l type (i think) and i put a new LSD in it out of u-pull-ti last year. the car i got it out of had not motor, tranny, dash, flares, hardly anything so i dont know what type it was and i couldnt tell the year other then a MKII. how cant i check what ratio my LSD is? is it printed somewhere (other then the engine bay of the donor car) or do i need part numbers?

#8 ·
non LSD=LSD? ~^~

Can the spider gears be shimmed to make it not so non-lsd?I wanna change the diff oil to synthetic and clean up the cover and replace the gasket and as long as I was in there...

#10 ·
Can the spider gears be shimmed to make it not so non-lsd?I wanna change the diff oil to synthetic and clean up the cover and replace the gasket and as long as I was in there...
only thing you can do to a non lsd diff to make it lock is to weld it, which isnt recomended at all. your turning radius will completely suck and the car wont handle properly.

#14 ·
hey does anyone know what i have to replace cuz whenever i shift to D or R, it makes a metal noise, also when the tranny is downshifting, sounds like it was coming from the LSD, do u guys think that i should replace the pinion and ring , cuz it sounds like it has some play in the gears. BTW this is an automatic mk2 celicasupra. thanks...

#16 ·
hey guys im thinking of changing the differential fluid, but do you guys know where to get it and what type of fluid do i need? and also what type of tools do i need to put in the new fluid? and also, how would i remove the spider gears to get it re shimmed? thanks...

#20 ·
No, it doesn't hurt to have extra....but that extra will end up spewing out the breather and coating the underside of the car!! :D Ask me how I know...my mechanic put in a full two quarts!!...after I gave him the diff sheets from the TSRM!! Oh well....no harm done...just a bloody mess!!

Grant

#23 ·
The correct way to fill the pumpkin is to mount it on the car first. Make sure it is level. A rack is great for this. Remove the plug and fill until it starts to run out of the plug hole. Isnt that easy? B&M use to sell a really good LSD oil. I think Lucas sells something too.

#28 ·
Ok I know this may sound stupid or uninformed but I have a few questions.

1. I get a really bad whine noise comming from the rear of the car, I'm in the process of changing out seals and bearings in the Diff but I have a nasty feeling I'm wrong about the bearings being bad. The seals I know were shot because the Diff leaked like a stuck pig.

2. Could the Inner Wheel Bearings be what is making my noise? If so how do I get to them considering the Chiltons book tells me nothing about getting to them or greasing them?

a P.M. or a reply on this thread would be a very big help.
I'm hoping to get this done by the end of the weekend.

#29 ·
if the rear is whining it is likely the pinion bearing that is the culprit, its the big one thats pressed onto the pinion shaft. from the inside. you can try changing fluid and using a good synthetic, but if its bad it wont make a diff and it will stay.

#31 ·
what's the difference between the stock lsd and the true track lsd i'm new to this also and is this a truetrac http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cres...ryZ33731QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem and is that a good price?also i need to rebuild mine need to know were i can buy all the internals of the diff the good stuff so it wont break or sound as it does now.
That LSD is not going to fit into your diff. Try searching for the ring gear size of both the car you own and the car that diff goes in.

#33 ·
Yeah i will buy it $100 shipped to AUS ha ha... got told i cant get a replacement toyota lsd in aus and have to go after market or from a wrecker. Oh well been looking at upgrading for a while thinking KAAZ or Trutrack? Just a pitty its broken and have no cash to fix it yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.